The Robert A. Welch Professor of Chemistry, Dr. Pettigrew serves as executive dean of EnMed and CEO EnHealth, the nation’s first comprehensive educational program to integrate engineering into all health-related disciplines at Texas A&M University.
Before joining Texas A&M and Houston Methodist Hospital, Dr. Pettigrew served as the founding director for the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). On the 10th anniversary of NIBIB, the U.S. Senate unanimously passed a resolution commending the institute for its leadership and impact in improving the nation’s health through technological innovation.
Known internationally for his pioneering work involving four-dimensional imaging of the cardiovascular system using magnetic resonance (MRI), Dr. Pettigrew’s current knowledge base also includes nanotechnology, regenerative medicine and point-of-care technologies.
After receiving his bachelor’s degree in physics from Morehouse College as a Merrill Scholar, Dr. Pettigrew attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he earned his master’s degree in nuclear science and engineering. He then received his PhD in radiation physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and attained his medical doctorate from Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami.
Dr. Pettigrew’s elected memberships
- The National Academy of Medicine
- The National Academy of Engineering
- The National Academy of Inventors
- The American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- The National Academy of Sciences, India
Dr. Pettigrew’s notable awards
- The Pierre Galletti Award of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering
- The Inaugural Gold Medal of the Academy of Radiology Research
- The Distinguished Service Medal of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- The Spirit of the Heart Award of the ABC
- The Pritzker Distinguished Achievement Award of the Biomedical Engineering Society
- The Gold Medal of the Radiological Society of North America
- The Arthur M. Bueche Award of the National Academy of Engineering
- The Vannevar Bush Award of the National Science Board